Intangible Heritage Consultant
Consultancy Contract - Part Time
Esna Luxor, Egypt
Monday, March 28, 2022
About the job
In January 2021, Takween embarked on a new project “VISIT-Esna” in the City of Esna (Luxor Governorate.) The project aims to put Esna on the tourism map through several heritage conservation, marketing, and economic interventions. In October 2021, Takween also won the award from the Dutch Embassy for the Stand Out Project, which is a project that is designed to complement activities under Visit Esna. The proposed project aims to capitalize on Esna’s diverse cultural heritage assets for the city to stand out as a prime tourist destination that offers a unique visitor experience. Through identification, documentation, conservation, and design activities – all focusing on tangible and intangible cultural heritage aspects of the city – we aim to develop an innovative and creative model that can be replicated in other places in Egypt. The proposed project focuses on two main components:
First: - Component 1: Intangible heritage identification, documentation, and showcasing.
Second: - Retail Tourism: How to Stand Out in a Tourist Destination and Attract Foot Traffic.
Key Result Areas
- Identification of intangible heritage themes that characterize Esna;
- Capacity building of 20 volunteers in data collection and documentation methods most appropriate for each theme accordingly;
- Develop a plan for carrying out the documentation and monitoring to ensure the highest quality of the collection is being met;
- Determining the priorities of topics, what can be used to advance our culture and tourism promotion, and what will be preserved and documented;
- Identify and plan which intangible heritage activities in Esna can be shared with tourists and how we can use interactive and innovative methods to ensure visitors have an authentic experience;
- Review the map of intangible heritage topics that we did in the project;
- Preference will be given to those with one of the following academic qualifications;
- Master's/PhD degree in the field of folklore, culture, and arts.
- MA/Ph.D. in anthropology related to culture and folklore;
- Preference to intangible culture background experience;
- Preferably experience in the field of collecting everything related to this society from intangible heritage and not a specific type of folk literature;
- Field gathering experience in (folk births - folk literature - proverbs and aphorisms - customs and traditions - eating habits - births - births - deaths - myths - tales and hadiths - folk dance and tahtib arts - ........)
- Preferably those who have previous relations with the Upper Egyptian community in general, and those with previous relations with the Esna community are preferred;
- Academic research in any of the areas of folklore related to anthropology.
- Published research by one of the official authorities is a plus;
- Arts or folk literature (oral) research in also an advantage;
- Previous experience in dealing with (previous or current) the following entities (with the Ministry of Culture - the General Authority for Culture Palaces - the Supreme Council of Culture - the Ministry of Culture - the Academy of Arts - the Higher Institute of Folklore - Atlas of Folklore)
· Fluency in oral and written Arabic and English is a must;
· Excellent presentation, negotiation, and verbal / written communication skills;
· Good intercultural skills and ability to work in a multicultural team;
· Excellent working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
· Creativity, innovation, and strategic thinking;
· Ability to work under high pressure and carry out multi-tasks in simultaneous projects;
· Self-motivation and willingness to learn;
· Teamwork abilities and work collaboratively with other stakeholders and staff members;
· Accountability and high commitment to the company’s quality standards and code of ethics;
Takween Integrated Community Development (Takween-ICD) is an urban development firm established in 2009 in Egypt by a young dynamic team with extensive experience, in response to a foreseen growing demand for innovative urban solutions in a world where it is predicted that by 2030, 60% of the world’s inhabitants will be living in urban centers. Takween-ICD specializes in the development of integrated packages in urban development services and solutions to support and complement efforts of tackling urban challenges. Takween-ICD provides project planning, design and implementation services to a range of local and international clients. Takween-ICD fields of interventions include integrated urban development and upgrading; heritage management and conservation; community development and mobilization; and direct involvement in participatory design and construction activities.