Full-Time (One year subject to renewal)
Project Office located in Cairo, with possible trips to Luxor Governorate. Accommodation and transportation are covered.
Wednesday, January 26, 2022
About the job
Takween is a member of a consortium which will be responsible for the implementation of the USAID-funded Integrated Management of Cultural Tourism (IMCT) Activity. The objective of the 4-year activity is to increase tourism revenues and local economic benefits, including increased employment and business opportunities, in the cultural tourism sector at targeted destinations (Historic Cairo and Luxor Governorate). The four results of the IMCT activity are: i) consolidation and reinforcement of GoE efforts to improve the enabling regulatory environment for investment in sustainable cultural heritage tourism; ii) selected cultural heritage sites rehabilitated and financially sustainable; iii) higher-value added tourism products and services developed at target destinations; and iv) capacity to promote cultural tourism in target destinations enhanced.
Takween is actively seeking an Architect to work with the team responsible for achieving IMCT’s Result 2 (selected cultural heritage sites rehabilitated and financially sustainable) and to provide support to other consortium members in other areas of results. The Architect will work with in-house technical teams and external consultants - under the supervision of Senior Architect - to produce full and integrated architectural/urban design packages (from concept to tendering stages) in areas of architectural design, and architectural/urban conservation of selected heritage sites.
Key Result Areas
The Architect will be responsible with the team for the following:
Comprehensive mapping of-and participation in the identification/selection of different sites in Historic Cairo and Luxor Governorate that require interventions to facilitate use by the private sector or promotion as tourist attractions;
Involvement of stakeholders to develop and verify adaptive reuse / preliminary intervention plans for each identified heritage site prior to any conservation activity;
Development of Sites/Buildings' investment packages (plans, sections, elevations and 3D Models) and establishment of partnerships to conserve, rehabilitate and reuse selected sites and buildings in the targeted destinations;
Development of intervention plans and Requests for Proposals (RfPs) for each identified site with signed, issuing of RfPs, and evaluation/selection of qualified subcontractors;
Development of multidisciplinary technical architectural packages (drawings and BOQ) for each site/building and obtain the GoE Technical Committees’ approvals of the packages;
Implementation/Overseeing the implementation of the approved interventions utilizing international best practices;
Capacity building and hands-on training of the relevant stakeholders (antiquities, tourism, governorates, private sector actors, community members, etc.) in areas of site management planning and scientific methods of conservation, restoration and adaptive reuse of heritage sites;
Handing over the sites to the relevant GoE entity and produce site handing over report;
Conduct post-occupancy surveys for each site/building and documentation of the process;
Project Management / Technical Responsibilities
Collection of primary/secondary data, documentation of the different targeted sites, field surveys, and analysis/assessment of the existing site conditions to produce accurate and reliable documentation packages (photographic, measured drawings, condition surveys, etc.) and site analysis studies;
Conduct participatory design sessions with the different stakeholders to assess their needs and secure their approvals to produce responsive design options;
Produce in consultation with the different project teams and consultants—the development of design options to produce environmentally / financially sound, and architecturally appropriate intervention packages (from concept to tendering stages) including design drawings, illustrations, specifications, Bills of Quantities, Cost Estimates, etc.
Conduct –under the supervision of the Senior Architect– negotiations and conflict resolution activities with the different stakeholders to ensure the effective implementation of activities and the timely execution of respective tasks and responsibilities;
Interface with the different projects’ consultants and review their work throughout the different design and implementation stages to ensure the quality and timeliness of their agreed deliverables as well as their compliance with the approved codes and building regulations;
Conduct the proper documentation of before and after intervention conditions and of different design and implementation stages (through photography, videography, written narratives, drawings, etc.) to produce adaptive reuse manuals, process documentation materials, as-built drawings, etc.
Archive of the projects’ data (documents, drawings, sketches, filed notes, photographs, digital materials, etc.) to ensure the proper maintenance and accessibility of the projects’ archives;
- B. Sc. in Architecture, or equivalent university degree in related area of study;
- 5-10 years of working experience in urban development, urban/architectural conservation, project management;
- Familiarity with urban/architectural conservation, upgrading of historic areas, and participatory design issues;
- Familiarity with governmental regulations and stakeholders in areas of heritage conservation;
- In-depth understanding of production and coordination of design packages, technical drawings, and tender documents;
- Fluency in oral and written Arabic and English is a must;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in Arabic and English is desirable;
- Strong interpersonal communications skills;
- Excellent working knowledge MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite: (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Premier), AutoCAD, relevant 3D modeling and rendering software;
- Graphic design, photography and sketching skills are an advantage;
- Ability to work under high pressure and carry out multi-tasks in simultaneous projects;
- Self-motivation and willingness to learn;
- Creativity and ability to seek and explore innovative solutions
- Teamwork abilities and work collaboratively with other stakeholders and staff members
- Strong planning and organizational skills to cope with expected workload
- Accountability and high commitment to the company’s quality standards and code of ethics
- Effective communication of ideas and design solutions with clients and team members;
Interested applicants should send their CVs and portfolios to:
Takween Integrated Community Development (Takween) is an urban development firm established in 2009 in response to a foreseen growing demand for innovative urban solutions. Takween specializes in the development of integrated packages in urban development services and solutions to support efforts of tackling urban challenges. Takween provides project planning, design, and implementation services to a range of local and international clients. Takween fields of interventions include integrated urban development and upgrading, heritage management and conservation, community development and mobilization, and participatory design and construction activities.